Summer is almost here, and that means it's time to start planning for some fun! Des Moines, Iowa has a ton of events and fun things going on all summer long. Maybe you're looking for a new place to take the family, or you've recently moved here and aren't quite familiar with the area just yet. Here you will find a few of the top things to do in Des Moines this summer!
- Bring the whole group down to Adventureland Park! This theme park not only has roller coasters to cool off on, but it also includes a waterpark called Adventure Bay that has a bunch of fun water slides and a 6,000 sq ft pool! The admission is a quarter of the price of a ticket to Disney World parks, and it includes both parks!
- Baseball is America's pastime, so why not catch an Iowa Cubs game while you're here! Principal Park is home to many great baseballs games including the home team, the Iowa Cubs. It's located in beautiful downtown Des Moines.
- Summer holds a lot of entertaining festivals in Des Moines! A few of the most notable ones are the 80/35 Music Festival (this year it includes big names like Portugal. The Man, Elle King, and more), Des Moines Jazz Festival and Latino Heritage Festival.
- Want to see a baby black rhino in person? Then you need to check out Blank Park Zoo! This zoo has recently welcomed their newest addition of a baby black rhino on April 5th, 2019. The baby rhino is still too new to be out in public as of yet but keep an eye on the zoo's website and plan your trip accordingly and you might be able to get a glimpse of a rare and beautiful creature.
- Need to end the summer with a bang? Make sure you get to the Iowa State Fair! Happening in August as the summer winds down, you can stuff yourself silly with cotton candy and kettle corn while you and friends ride the Ferris wheel and get a good look of how beautiful Iowa is from up high!
Don't let summer pass you by! Makes plans to explore Des Moines and get the most fun out of those long, hot days of summer.